Top Things to Do in Merzouga
Merzouga is a tiny village and one of the Gateways to the Sahara. Here is the land of the Erg Chebbi, a world of dunes, they are taller and richer in color than the dunes found near Zagora making them a much more sought after destination. In Merzouga, you will see the first dunes, undisturbed sandhills, infinite spaces subject to the sun and wind. In turns their color becomes pink, ocher and reddish subject to the dazzling sun, they mesmerize the onlookers. A show which calls for contemplation.
Moreover, the town is full of modern hotels and you can easily reach the camps in the heart of the desert with a guided camel ride. This makes Merzouga an iconic place, and a dream desert destination filled with camel rides, the magical nights, and ethereal desert beauty.
Getting to Merzouga Desert
- From Marrakech : (600 km) via N9 and N10
Merzouga has become an increasingly vibrant location for travelers worldwide. This gateway to the Sahara is located around 10 hours drive from Marrakech, so you shouldn’t expect to be able to reach the Sahara in a day from Marrakech, that’s why we highly suggest spending at least one night in either one of these two places “ Ouarzazate or Dades Valley ”before continuing your journey south towards Merzouga. All of which to let you travel without feeling tired or exhausted.
- From Fes : (470 km) via N13
Merzouga is located around 7hours from Fez, Morocco’s cultural capital. The driving is one of the most scenic drives in the world, it will take you along gorgeous olive plantations, beautiful deserts and is definitely a pleasant drive. Your first point after Fes will be Ifran a beautiful hilltop town, crossing the Atlas mountains through Azrou, and Midelt and carry on through Errachidia and Erfoud until you reach Merzouga. It is basically a straight road.
Top Things to Do in Merzouga
Riding a camel in the Sahara Desert to spend a night under the stars in a desert camp is not only an iconic experience, but you might also be surprised at the number of activities there are to do in and around the desert regions of Morocco! I’ve collected together a list includes fun things to do. Here are the best things you can do when visiting Merzouga.
- Hunt for fossils. The region is rich in fossils and there are several well-known areas to be sure to find a fossil to take home.
- Visit with a semi-nomadic family. With a trusted guide translating, you’ll be able to understand a bit more about their way of life.
- Listen to Gnawa Music. Though popularly found throughout Morocco, particularly in Essaouira, the desert is the real home of Gnawa Music. The town of Khamlia has a couple of places for you to listen to these desert grooves.
- Explore the sand dunes. Sometimes there isn’t anything better than hopping off into the unknown atop your favorite camel (or 4×4).
- Visit Sijilmassa. Located near Rissani, next to Erg Chebbi, this ruin was once the most important trade post, linking Morocco across the desert with Egypt, Sudan, and Ghana.
- Shop in the local markets. Rissani has the biggest market in the region on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday while Zagora has a vibrant market every Wednesday and Sunday.
- Quad & Buggy Tour Experience. Feel the adrenalin-rush as you ride a quad bike in Merzouga all by yourself
- Visit Oasis of Saf-Saf.
- Taste the Local berber Pizza…